How to Make Breakfast Biscuit Sandwiches from Coconut Flour
I remember with some fondness my teenage appetite being somewhat satiated by breakfast biscuit sandwiches while I was working at the golden arches. I was hungry and could eat A LOT. Little did I know I was ruining my health and the time and that I could have been feeling more full with something much healthier!
A hearty breakfast you can take on the go, these breakfast biscuit sandwiches made with coconut flour which are paleo friendly will REALLY make you question the existence of McD’s, and why everyone else isn’t gluten free too!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Breakfast Biscuit Sandwiches:
4-5 pieces of organically raised bacon
¼ cup organic unrefined coconut oil, divided
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 free range eggs + 4 leftover egg yolks
4-5 cups fresh organic baby spinach
1 tsp. garlic powder, divided
1/2 tsp onion powder, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 oz white American cheese, cut in thin slices to top filling
1 cup almond flour
½ cup tapioca flour
¼ cup organic coconut flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ teaspoon aluminum and GMO-free baking powder
Pinch of North Atlantic sea salt
4 egg whites (but save egg yolks for later) +
2 pastured whole eggs
2 tbsp. virgin organic coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2. Place bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil and put in oven for 15-18 minutes or until done to your liking. Set aside.
3. Now for the biscuits: Mix together almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda and powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl after having sifted coconut flour separately to properly measure and take out hard bits.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy.
5. Pour frothy egg whites into the almond flour mixture bowl and mix well. Then add the 2 whole eggs and 2 tbsp of coconut oil and whisk together.
6. Place mixed batter in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop some of that thick batter into four mounds on baking sheet. The batter will spread out just a little bit, but should still set up.
8. Repeat to make 4 biscuits on each baking sheet (put two trays in oven if doubling recipe).
9. Bake for about 18 minutes. If you poke the biscuits, you’ll be able to tell that they are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Let cool.
11. While the biscuits bake, finish ingredients for the sandwich fillings. Place a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp. of coconut oil to saute’ sliced yellow onions.
11. Let onions cook down until caramelized and stir continuously to keep them from sticking to the pan.
12. In a medium pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and ½ tsp. garlic powder and salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is supple and dark green.
13. In that same pan over medium heat, add 1 more tbsp. of coconut oil and whisk eggs and egg yolks together, pour them into the pan.
14. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. garlic powder and a bit of salt and pepper.
15. Continuously stir eggs with a spatula until cooked through.
16. Once onions, spinach and eggs are done cooking, cut biscuits in half and begin building your biscuit. We suggest biscuit, bacon, spinach egg, caramelized onions, cheese, and then biscuit.
17. Serve and enjoy or wrap a couple of those bad boys in aluminum paper and try not to cause any accidents on the way to work!