Found some fresh shrimp for this evening? Try this Coconut Shrimp with Orange Marmalade recipe that is absolutely healthy and less in calories (unless you are allergic to shellfish ; ).
Coconut or macadamia nut oil, for frying
1/2 cup organic coconut flour
1/2 tsp fine Himalayan pink salt
2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened shredded coconut
2 egg whites from organic eggs
1 pound shrimp, deveined and peeled
1. Heat 2 inches oil over medium high heat. Season coconut flour with salt, cayenne pepper and five-spice powder.
2. Add shredded coconut to seasoned coconut flour and combine.
3. Lightly beat the egg whites.
4. Dip shrimp in the egg whites, then coat with the coconut breading.
5. Fry shrimp 5 minutes in hot oil until evenly golden and crispy.
6. Serve with orange marmalade made from low glycemic honey. Makes 4 servings.
1 cup prepared organic yellow mustard
1 tbsp low glycemic honey
¾ cup coconut vinegar or cider vinegar (see below)
2 tbs extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tsp orange oil or extract
Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and enjoy.
See Also: Coconut Shrimp