Treat yourself and be enticed with this grain free flavorful orange poppy seed muffin healthy snacks. A healthy dose of poppy seeds give the muffins a slight crunch on the outside, yet soft on the inside. But hey, don’t have too many if you are worried about passing a drug test!
½ cup golden flax meal
¼ cup organic coconut flour
¼ cup arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp poppy seeds
¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
4 eggs, room temperature
¼ cup raw low glycemic honey
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, softened
½ cup fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or prep with muffin liners.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flax meal, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, cream of tartar, poppy seeds and your salt.
3. In another small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, honey, and orange juice.
4. Crack the eggs and separate the egg whites into a medium mixing bowl, then add the egg yolks to the honey mixture.
5. Whip the egg whites using hand mixer until soft peaks form. Work the egg yolks into the dry mixture, and then fold in the whipped egg whites.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, then insert into the preheated oven. Cook for 40 minutes, until the muffins are browned on the top and a tester inserted comes out clean.