Prepare a comforting and sumptuous gluten-free dinner packed with essential nutrients—protein!
3 lbs boneless eye of the round steak
½ cup organic coconut flour
2 tbsp. tapioca starch
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 onion, diced (about ½ cup)
2 tbsp. coconut oil, for browning steaks
For Mushroom Sauce:
2 cups beef stock
1 package (8 ounces) white mushrooms
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp sea salt
2 cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled
2 tbsp. tapioca starch*
1. Put 2 tbsp. coconut oil in a skillet and turn on to medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the coconut flour, tapioca starch, salt and garlic powder. Mix well.
3. Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture and place them in a hot skillet. Allow them to brown on the first side, 1-2 minutes, then flip the steaks and allow them to brown for 2 minutes on the other side.
4. Place the browned steaks in a slow cooker. Top with diced onions.
5. Pour the beef stock, mushrooms, pepper and salt in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds on medium speed, or until the mushrooms are chopped to the size you’d like.
6. Pour the mushroom sauce over the steaks.
7. Cook on high temperature for 5-6 hours or low for 7-9 hours until the steaks are tender.
8. Few minutes before serving, open the chilled cans of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened cream into a bowl. Reserve the clear coconut water for another use.
9. Mix the coconut cream with 2 tbsp. tapioca starch. Add this to the slow cooker and allow the coconut cream to sit for about 20 minutes or until it “melt” in.
10. Allow the coconut cream to heat through. Mix gently just before serving.
11. You may serve it with potatoes. Enjoy.
Source: Slow Cooker Swiss Steak