There’s always a way to transform a not so healthy food to a healthy one! To those who are now starting to eat healthily, I will suggest this recipe for you. Squash is likable, caramelized onions are appealing, and goat cheese is definitely not bad at all for a pizza.
- For the crust:
- ¾ cup golden flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoon organic coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon tapioca flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup of filtered water
- 2 cups butternut squash, small dices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ medium onion, sliced (about ⅛” thick)
- 6 oz cheese (e.g. Gouda), shredded
- 2 tablespoon goat cheese
- Optional: Fresh leafy greens (e.g arugula, roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.For the crust, combine flaxseed meal, coconut flour, tapioca flour, salt, basil, garlic powder and onion powder in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg to a large bowl and whisk until foamy, then add olive oil and water and whisk again until well combined. Now add dry flour mix to the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated (I use a fork). Your dough should be thick and sticky.
- Cut off two large sheets of parchment paper, place your dough on top of one of the sheets, cover it with the second sheet and start rolling your dough into the desired shape using a rolling pin. Your crust should be about ¼” thick. Remove the top layer of parchment paper, transfer your parchment paper with crust carefully to a baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes or until your crust is looking golden-brown around the edges.
- Remove crust from the oven and start preparing your toppings.
- Increase oven temperature to 400F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss butternut squash with olive oil, cumin and salt. Spread out on a baking tray in a single layer and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet and add a little oil for cooking; just enough to cover the bottom of your skillet. Over medium-low heat, cook onions with a pinch of salt until caramelized; about 25-30 minutes (they should be brown and soft but not mushy).
- In the meantime, prepare your pizza sauce: Combine tomato paste, olive oil, red chilli pepper, salt and black pepper.
- To assemble your pizza, spread pizza sauce evenly out on crust, top with roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, shredded cheese and goat cheese. Add pizza spices, if desired (e.g dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme etc.) and salt and pepper, to taste. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes, remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze and serve right away!